(Accra, Ghana. May-Jun 2009) Women in Progress provides business consulting to its producers that was designed and developed by volunteers to help women entrepreneurs in Ghana in whichever area of need the owner and consultant jointly identify as most important. Mark partnered with fellow volunteer Mark Uible to provide this consulting resource to the owner of Naasakle, the producer of Global Mamas new Shea Butter products. Naasakle provides work for over 700 producers in the Northern Region of Ghana and is looking to expand upon its business model. Naasakle has made amazing progress recently and the help of Mark and Shane has helped to move the business toward a more competitive advantage.
Shane was able to accomplish the following:
Shane enjoyed seeing that the work he was doing was tangible and relevant to the improvement of Naasakle. He was particularly excited to see that he was working directly with the CEO of a company that directly impacted over 700 impoverished women. The client was prepared and open to Shane and Marks suggestions which made the project go very smoothly. Aside from the exciting project accomplishments, Shane also enjoyed the comraderie of the fellow volunteers. A favorite memory was a trip to Wli Waterfalls which took 2 hours on a rough, dirt road versus the anticipated 30 minutes on a paved highway. But the resulting sight seeing and swim under a waterfall, not to mention the stories, were all well worth the journey.
- An $85,000 grant was awarded to Naasakle thanks to cash flow analysis and qualitative writing that was developed.
- Creation of retail and company brochures and other marketing tools and the evaluation of potential advertising opportunities for the company.
- Redesign of company website.
- Examination and preparation of Naasakle for potential certifications in Fair Trade and/or Organic. Evaluated the necessary changes and preparations for such certifications, as well as determined from which organization(s) to pursue certification.
- A per batch break-even analysis that allowed the production manager to better understand her costs during the process.
"It is evident that Global Mamas is transparent and sincere in it's efforts to improve the lives of Ghanaians."